Thursday, November 3, 2011

Song #4 of 9999 - Oviedo by Blind Pilot

Song #4 of 9999

Title: Oviedo
Artist: Blind Pilot
Year: 2008
Album: 3 Rounds and a Sound


I had never heard of this band before I set foot in a Detroit bed-and-breakfast. Yes, Detroit. I was there primarily to see a baseball game, but also took in the Motown Museum and some Greek food. So, this bed-and-breakfast was really nice and the kind of place that has all kinds of little amenities you never take advantage of. Like a CD player with a stack of CDs. I popped this one in and was not blown away, but impressed.

I ripped it to my computer (it's okay, I bought it on vinyl later) and started listening to it as I drove across the Midwest. It became a close friend on that drive to Cleveland and then Pittsburgh and then home. The singer (Israel Nebeker) has a plaintive quality to his voice that sucks me in every time. The songwriting is really superb and I think the spare arrangements are spot on.

Now it's one of my favorite albums of all time. I could have picked any song--they're all great.

(I don't know if this is the official video or not, but it seems like it probably is.)

No comments:

Post a Comment