Friday, April 10, 2015

Song #510 of 9999 - I'll Be Alright by Passion Pit

Song #510 of 9999

Title: I'll Be Alright
Artist: Passion Pit
Year: 2012
Album: Gossamer


I'm not sure you'll find an album more exhausting than Gossamer. I can't deny that it's interesting and I really like the frenetic energy of the second single, "I'll Be Alright." It's the kind of track that probably could not have existed before the advent of digital recording and so, in that sense, it seems like the perfect ambassador for its time. The cut-and-paste opening, the pitch shifted gnat vocals, the EXTREME VOLUME COMPRESSION—these are all attributes unique to this century and, especially, the last five years or so.

But if you work your way through the intricate tangle of sound to the beating heart of this track you find a quality song with a poignant lyric. (There's a video of an acoustic version that sort of proves this point but I don't recommend it because...well, let's just say you may experience a wizard-behind-the-curtain moment.) Singer and sole permanent member of the band Michael Angelakos wrestles with the uncertainty of a broken relationship and tries to convince himself that he's in control...
You should go if you want to
Yeah go if you want to
I’ll be alright, be alright
Well I've made so many messes
And this love has grown so restless
Your whole life has been nothing but this
I won't let you go unless
I’ll be alright
I’ll be alright
...but the chaos swirling around him belies this message. It's an interesting contrast and I think that's probably the only way this works. If this song were about dancing or driving with the top down, I don't think I would expend the energy it requires to take it all in. I'm going to go take a nap now.

No comments:

Post a Comment