Saturday, December 3, 2011

Song #37 of 9999 - Dance Yrself Clean by LCD Soundsystem

Song #37 of 9999

Title: Dance Yrself Clean
Artist: LCD Soundsystem
Year: 2010
Album: This is Happening


On my recent trip to London, I learned something both shocking and delightful: Brits love the Muppets. Who knew? I have never seen two people so excited to see a Muppet movie as my friends who were so---dare I say---jealous that it had already been released in the states and was still months away from the local Odeon. So when I decided to post the opening track to LCD Soundsystem's swan song LP and stumbled upon this "unofficial" video set in Brighton, I knew I had to use it.

James Murphy is the spitting image of uncool. In fact, I would go so far as to say he is the coolest uncool man I have ever scene. Everything he touches becomes instantly fashionable to everyone and yet, he remains at a distance to fashion himself. He's kind of my hero in that sense. But even more important, he has an amazing sense of balance and proportion in music. Many of his songs are quite long, but they seem long only to those lacking even an average attention span. This song is nine minutes and has TWO CHORDS. But I love it and it never lets me down. Even if the lyrics were inane, it would still be awesome, but they're quite clever. My favorite stanza:

Talking like a jerk
Except you are an actual jerk
And living proof that sometimes friends are mean

Stick around until the end--you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment