Friday, January 13, 2012

Song #85 of 9999 - House at Pooh Corner by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Song #85 of 9999

Title: House at Pooh Corner
Artist: Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Year: 1970
Album: Uncle Charlie & His Dog Teddy




Had one of those conversations today with a friend at work that I so enjoy. We were talking about this blog and I mentioned the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and, by extension, the song "House at Pooh Corner." Erik said, "Isn't that Loggins and Messina?" And I was like "I don't think so but I could be wrong." He was certain Kenny Loggins had written the song (he was right) and that Loggins and Messina had released it as a single (he was right again). But thankfully, he went the extra mile and looked it up on the internet only to find that.. I too was right! 

It's so funny. I'm listening to the Loggins and Messina version right now and I'm almost certain I've never heard it. The fact that either of us knows anything about this 40-year-old gem is pretty amazing, but the deeper discovery was learning that we have shared memories of two distinct versions.


If you've ever had a soft spot in your heart for A. A. Milne's tale of an overweight bear and his piglet friend, you'll probably enjoy this tune. It's a song I remember fondly from my childhood (I was an Eeyore fan, natch) and it was nice to revisit it this evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment