Friday, January 20, 2012

Song #94 of 9999 - I Got You by Split Enz

Song #94 of 9999

Title: I Got You
Artist: Split Enz
Year: 1980
Album: True Colours





Not a lot of time tonight to write, but so what? You don't need me to tell you how awesome this song is. When that menacing chromatic chord progression opens up to reveal the glorious chorus, it's 100% pop bliss. Fun to think of Split Enz as the training ground for Crowded House and this song certainly shows flashes of the brilliance that will inhabit Neil Finn's future songwriting. It's also a reminder of just how well the man can sing. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I first saw the video for this song on a chart show in the early 1980s (Probably Countdown on the ABC) when I was little more than a toddler, and it scared the shit out of me! Still love the song though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was quiet young too, but thankfully they were coming out of the heavy theatrics by this time! Or it would have been a lot scarier! I do love this song and until recently I thought it was Crowded House. I didn't know the whole story. I'm caught up now mostly. Loving everything Neil touches!

    ReplyDelete