Thursday, March 1, 2012

Song #141 of 9999 - Butterflies by Toad The Wet Sprocket

Song #141 of 9999

Title: Butterflies
Artist: Toad The Wet Sprocket
Year: 1991
Album: Fear



Santa Barbara band Toad The Wet Sprocket always seemed a little too laid back for their own good as far I was concerned. I still liked them and bought all their records because their melodies were so good and Glen Phillips' reedy baritone agreed with me. But I think they never achieved greatness because they lacked an edge that even as gentle a band as Crowded House could summon once in a while.

Which is why I like the song "Butterflies" so much. I mean, yes, it is called "Butterflies" but there's a drive to the song seldom heard on their records. There's also some pretty cool melodic and rhythmic dissonance that pervades the track. I remember being so excited about the moment at 2:40 when Phillips sings an augmented fourth against the busy bass line. An exciting performance of an interesting song.

No comments:

Post a Comment