Monday, July 23, 2012

Song #218 of 9999 - Sister Cocaine by Frankie Big Face

As mentioned in my post of July 20, I'm going to write about my own music for a few weeks as a way to get some song comments together for an updated website. My goal is eventually to have a few paragraphs written for every song on my website and I figured I'd start with all the Nur Ein songs I've written over the past six years. Nur Ein is a songwriting competition in the same vein as Song Fight!, wherein a title is presented each week and participants must write and record a song using that title. The songs are posted and listeners vote for their favorites. In the case of Nur Ein, there is a judging panel that ranks the songs and participants are eliminated each week until "only one" (nur ein) remains. There are also additional challenges that must be incorporated such as "lyrics in the form of a sonnet" or "guest rapper." Nur Ein has been around for seven years and I've entered four times and won twice. NBD. :D  This is post #2.

===================================================================== 

Song #218 of 9999 

Title: Sister Cocaine
Artist: Frankie Big Face
Year: 2007
Album: Nur Ein 2

 Click here to play song!

Not every song I write is a winner. When I first saw the title Sister Cocaine six years ago, I cringed. In retrospect, it's not the worst title ever, but it's kind of a bad title for me. I found myself pretty uninspired but you have to play to win and that meant I had five days to write and record this song whether I wanted to or not. What I came up with seemed respectable at the time (I finished in 6th place out of 25) but now it seems pretty terrible to me.

The challenge this round was "use of alliteration" and I certainly went all out but the lyrics are poor. The problem is they don't mean anything to me at all. The song's not about anything discernible. Loosely, I guess it's about addiction but I think it misses its mark badly.

So is there anything I like about this song? I like the riff that opens the track. I usually don't write heavy guitar riffs so that was fun. I liked being able to play guitar in a heavy rock style—I almost never do that either. The bridge is brutal to listen to now. So cheesy. Every time I hear it, I think of that scene in This is Spinal Tap where the bass player is playing the solo while stuck inside the pod that won't open.

Tomorrow will be better, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment