Friday, August 10, 2012

Song #231 of 9999 - Schadenfreude by Frankie Big Face

Song #231 of 9999 

Title: Schadenfreude
Artist: Frankie Big Face
Year: 2009
Album: Nur Ein 4

Click here to listen!

This is me complaining about the title and challenge for Nur Ein IV, Round 2:
I know I promised 50% less whining this year, but I can't think of a title I have less interest in writing and the challenge makes it even worse by putting a stranglehold on the lyrics. I can "think outside the box" as much as the next guy but I will find it an unsatisfying chore to fulfill this round's requirements. 
And then I wrote one of my most popular songs so I guess I should shut up. Said one reviewer:
[The song] takes you on this delightful, bizarre and at times touching journey about two odd strangers, their separate, broken worlds and how their unchecked emotions lead to true Schadenfreude. Musically it’s as amusing and fascinating as it is lyrically. Awesome.
What else can I say? It's fun writing comedy because you can allow yourself to be clever with lyrics and music in  ways that hardly ever present themselves in serious music. (Like rhyming "spleen" with "property lien"!) The hardest part is being concise with your lyrics while telling a story in a linear fashion. This was a lot of fun and always makes me think I should try my hand at writing a musical. Someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment