Saturday, August 18, 2012

Song #236 of 9999 - First Blood by Frankie Big Face

Two more weeks of writing about my own music (as mentioned in my post of July 20) and then back to my normal blog!

=====================================================================  

Song #236 of 9999 

Title: First Blood
Artist: Frankie Big Face
Year: 2011
Album: Nur Ein 6

Click here to listen!
 
I was relegated to judging the year following my Nur Ein victory and recorded no songs during 2010. (I was writing, but those songs haven't been recorded yet.) By the time Nur Ein 6 rolled around, I was separated from my wife and had moved out of my house, leaving me sequestered from my studio and most of my instruments. But I was determined to record and brought together as many bits and pieces as I could to the house where I was staying. There, I also found some interesting instruments, including the pump organ I used for this track. (The out-of-time clicking you hear is me operating the foot pedals—I thought it was interesting but many people find it annoying.)
 
My initial goal was to record all of my Nur Ein 6 entries entirely on an iPad but, after one track, I realized it didn't allow me the flexibility I needed in terms of multi-tracking so I abandoned the idea. Although I'm sure my inexperience with the platform has something to do with it, to me this song sounds lifeless and dull. I tried remastering it in GarageBand, but I just couldn't get it to have any vibrancy. The canned drums sound terrible and even slightly out of time. So yeah, this is not a great track but, at the time, it felt like a minor miracle just to make a song so I considered it a small victory in those terms. But the track is still a downer.

No comments:

Post a Comment