Friday, August 31, 2012

Song #244 of 9999 - The Best Place in Town is Also the Darkest by Frankie Big Face

One more week of writing about my own music (as mentioned in my post of July 20) and then back to my normal blog! I think people are getting tired of this...
===================================================================== 

Song #244 of 9999 

Title: The Best Place in Town is Also the Darkest
Artist: Frankie Big Face
Year: 2012
Album: Nur Ein 7

Click here to listen!

Sometimes the challenges in Nur Ein can really encourage creativity. In Round Two, we were instructed to employ a "creative use of stops and starts." Were it not for this challenge, I probably would have completed the song that you hear on the "radio" that opens this track. But I really wanted to write something where the stops and starts were an integral element of the song. I was especially drawn to the idea of placing this pause in the middle of the verse and of using pauses that were of varying length. To me, this creates a more organic environment for the lyrics (but also makes for more difficult drum programming).

Having had a few months away from this track, I find I really like it. It was fun to revisit my prog rock beginnings and I think the comparisons to Rush (especially more recent Rush) are warranted. The alternating sections of 5/8 and 6/8 seem unforced and there's a lot of energy in the track. It seems a good setting for this tale of revenge brought on by feelings of loneliness (my favorite line: "empty homes are catacombs for the living"). I wish I had had a real drummer but someone had to attend his son's baptism. The nerve!

No comments:

Post a Comment