Monday, April 13, 2015

Song #513 of 9999 - Entertainment by Phoenix

Song #513 of 9999

Title: Entertainment
Artist: Phoenix
Year: 2013
Album: Bankrupt!


I love the Shazam app. I use it almost exclusively to identify songs I don't like. It's important to be informed about the things you despise.

But every once in a while, I hear a song I really like and I ask Shazam for a little help. And more often than not, the band is Phoenix! Okay, that's a bit of an overstatement, but it happened two times so that's something.

One such song is "Entertainment" from the French band's fifth album, Bankrupt! I've read a lot of criticism of the album, mostly revolving around a lack of creative progress from previous efforts. But since I haven't heard any of those albums (ignorance truly is bliss), the big banks of fuzzy synths and singer Thomas Mars's double-tracked tenor are satisfying enough. And the video has some pretty pictures of the Korean countryside.

I don't really have anything else to say. Truth be told, I spent the last couple of hours sifting through a pretty sad collection of records from 2013 and I'm pretty burnt out. Check back in with me tomorrow and maybe I'll have a better perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment