Friday, November 4, 2011

Song #5 of 9999 - Attaboy by Yo-yo Ma, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer & Chris Thile

Song #5 of 9999

Title: Attaboy
Artist: Yo-yo Ma, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer & Chris Thile
Year: 2011
Album: The Goat Rodeo Sessions


I was thinking about what song I would post today while catching up on episodes of The Colbert Report when I saw a live performance of this bluegrass-on-steroids track. Coincidentally, I was just talking about Yo-yo Ma and Edgar Meyer with my friend Charlie, who is a blue-grass musician, and saying that this music has a limited appeal to me and it seemed that if you heard one album (like Ma's 1996 collaboration with Meyer and Mark O'Connor), you probably don't need to pick up the subsequent records. 

But seeing these guys play live....that's a whole other story. Unfortunately, the Colbert clip is unavailable on YouTube since Comedy Central isn't done with it yet, but you can watch the episode on TV or CC's website. I did find this "in the studio" live performance which doesn't have quite the same energy as the performance I saw but should give you a thrill nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment