Sunday, December 4, 2011

Song #38 of 9999 - Lily Dreams On by Cotton Mather

Song #38 of 9999

Title: Lily Dreams On
Artist: Cotton Mather
Year: 1997
Album: Kon Tiki


My friend Glenn referenced a band called Tame Impala in a Facebook post today, remarking about how much the singer sounds like John Lennon. Coincidentally, I had just heard this band in a record shop in London a week ago and thought the album may have come out in 1967 or something--it just had such a late 60s vibe. Well, it turns out that record came out just last year and this band that sounds so British is actually Australian.

Which reminded me of Cotton Mather. The band Cotton Mather hailed from Austin, TX (they're now defunct) but sound like they're straight outta Liverpool. And, in fact, they did make a small splash in England, attracting the likes of Noel Gallagher, but never found their footing here at home. Their album Kon Tiki is one of my absolute favorites and I have spent way too much time trying to decide which song to post. If you like the ballad "Lily Dreams On," go find "She's Only Cool," "My Before and After" and "Camp Hill Rail Operator."

No comments:

Post a Comment