Friday, December 30, 2011

Song #68 of 9999 - Crapa Pelada by Quartetto Cetra

Song #68 of 9999

Title: Crapa Pelada
Artist: Quartetto Cetra
Year: 1945
Album
: I Successi Del Quartetto Cetra

Okay, I'm tired of posting Christmas songs so that's done. Starting January 1, a year-long project! Each week will be devoted to a specific year, starting with 1960. However, so as to not get bogged down in a decade that some people don't like, I will go through the years like this: 1960, 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000, 2010, 1961, 1971, and so on. The last week of the year will be set aside for the best songs of 2012. Sound good? Great, I'm glad we're all in agreement.

I'm currently obsessed with the show Breaking Bad. I have two more episodes to go before being completely caught up and I only started watching it two weeks ago! (There are 45 episodes total.) One of the characters in the show (Gale, a methamphetamine-making chemist) was playing the song "Crapa Pelada" (translation: "Bald head") by the Italian vocal group Quartetto Cetra while he prepared a meal, singing along with pinpoint precision to the rapid-fire staccato delivery of the Italian lyrics. It was one of my favorite moments in a show full of favorite moments, the song serving to masterfully define the character in about sixty seconds without dialog or even much action. Very clever use of a fun song I had never heard before. Hope you like it.

2 comments:

  1. fun song. i wasn't understanding the chorus; turns out that's because it's in dialect (milanese). cool.

    ReplyDelete