Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Song #230 of 9999 - Bullets and Lovers by Frankie Big Face

Song #230 of 9999 

Title: Bullets and Lovers
Artist: Frankie Big Face
Year: 2009
Album: Nur Ein 4

Click here to listen!
ATTENTION: This track is ridiculously loud. Turn down your volume before listening. Especially if you are using headphones. Sorry.

Sometimes a song leads you down paths you would ordinarily resist. I'm very happy with my song Bullets and Lovers but I don't agree with or condone the lyrics at all (they seem to be encouraging suicide or homicide or both!). At the same time, I don't sing them ironically or sarcastically. So it's a little touchy because I think a lot of people automatically assume that every song reflects the opinions or feelings of the singer (even more so than the songwriter!). I believe this to be truer for pop music than literature, poetry, visual art, classical music, etc. So take it from me: not every song is autobiographical. They're just songs.

My challenge for this song was to come in under two minutes and include two verses, a chorus, a repetition of the chorus and a solo! This was a fun challenge and, although I didn't win the round, I feel like I really nailed it. My song is kind of an homage to Pavement or maybe Built to Spill. It's noisy but melodic and it has some tricky little meter changes that accommodate the lyric in a very organic way. The song is also well-balanced, I think.

Short song, short post. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment